NEW HOUSES FOR WEST LOTHIAN VILLAGES
Tenders have been accepted for the building of 184 houses of 3, 4 and 5 apartments to take the place of the condemned houses in the old shale-mining villages of Bridgend and Kingscavil, near Linlithgow. Eighteen months ago an official inquiry was held at Linlithgow into housing conditions in these villages. It was the first inquiry to be held by the Department of Health under Section 27 of the Housing (Scotland) Act, 1930 and it was pointed out at that inquiry that the villages of Kingscavil and Bridgend first came under notice of the County Council in 1931, when Mr A M Smith, sanitary inspector for Linlithgow district, declared that the villages ought to be demolished. At an official inquiry, Mr Joseph Aitken, Fauldhouse stated that West Lothian held the unenviable distinction of having the highest percentage of population living in two-apartment houses, and the highest number of persons per room of any in Scotland. The houses about to be built by the County Council, to plans prepared by Mr Matt Steele architect, Bo'ness will be of the larger size specified in recent instructions issued by the Department of Health.' The cost of the scheme is 58,000.
The Scotsman, 24th March 1936
"The West Lothian County Council scheme to establish a new village at Bridgend is progressing favourably. The new village is being built alongside the old miner's rows at Bridgend, and the population of the old Bridgend and also the people from the neighbouring village of Kingscavil will be housed there."
Midlothian Advertiser, 4th December 1936