(Description of Pumpherston North and Pumpherston South villages.)
The Pumpherston Oil Company own 220 houses in this village, which is situated about one mile north from Mid Calder. These houses are built of brick, and rough-cast or cement-washed. In a number of cases, however, the back of the house, which faces the drying greens, is neither rough-cast nor cement-washed, and this presents an unfinished appearance. There are about 173 houses consisting of room (12 ft by 11 ft, also bed-recess and press), kitchen (14.5 ft by 11 ft, also two bed-recesses), scullery (7.5 ft by 6 feet) with sink and water-closet. A washhouse is provided for every four tenants. The rental is 2/6 to 2/9 per week, inclusive of rates. In the case of thirty-six of these houses, the room and kitchen are approximately 11 ft by 16.5 ft each, and the scullery is 10 ft 5 inches by 7 ft 8 inches, which contains sink, set-in tub, boiler, and water-closet. There are nineteen houses consisting of three apartments, and all conveniences as above, let at from 4/- to 4/9 per week. Then there are 27 single-apartment houses, with scullery and water-closet, let at 1/6 per week, inclusive of rates. Some sixty houses are built back to back. A good supply of gravitation water is obtained, and a good drainage system exists. The refuse is collected daily by the Company, from dustbins provided to each tenant. The gardens are made good use of by the workers, and present a good appearance in the season.An Institute, with a good library and hall, exists. There is also a bowling green in the centre of the village, for all of which the workers subscribe weekly.The total number of houses in Pumpherston district is 260, and in Mid Calder 335, with an approximate population in the two districts of 2990 persons.
Theodore K. Irvine, Report on the Housing Conditions in the Scottish Shale Field, 1914
Pumpherston North Village: the houses numbered 1 - 24 adjacent to the main road are being maintained. When the occasion arrives the single apartments will be eliminated by reverting to the original arrangements, thus making all houses in the street of two apartments. In the remaining portion of the village 28 houses have been officially closed and four blocks completely vacated. Demolition may be carried out at any time. A few tenants have still to be rehoused to enable demolition to be completed in this area.
Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.