Scottish shale Scottish shale

William Black & Sons Ltd.

Company number:
Registered in Scotland No. 3022
Share capital:
16th October 1895
26th April 1905
Registered office:

18 George Square, Glasgow

Oil works:

A limited company formed to combine the diverse mineral interests of three firms owned by the Black family (William Black & Sons, Stanrigg Oil Co. and Blackston Oil Co.) plus the Drongan Castle Colliery. Any remaining oil production soon ceased under the new company.

William Black & Sons Ltd. was wound-up in 1905 following amalgamation into the United Collieries Co. Ltd.


  • Newspaper references
    • SCOTTISH JOINT-STOCK COMPANIES – Five new joint-stock companies were registered in Scotland during this week, with an aggregate capital of £311,400, making a total of 213 companies registered since the beginning of the year, with a total capital of £9,303,293. The new companies are: - William Black & Sons, Limited, to acquire the collieries carried on by William Black & Sons, coalmasters, Airdrie, Slamannan, and elsewhere, the business of the Stanrigg Oil Company, the collieries, mines and other works carried on by the Blackston Mineral Company, Paisley, and the colliery known as Drongan Castle Colliery, carried on by George Cameron Black. Capital, £130,000, divided into 4000 preference shares of £10 each and 9000 ordinary shares of £10.

      Aberdeen Journal, Saturday 7th November 1895

  • Associated references
    • Registration Records transcribed from dissolved company records held by the National Archives of Scotland.