Scottish shale Scottish shale

Stanrigg Oil Co.

Operations commenced circa 1866
Operations ceased in 1895 upon the formation of William Black & Sons Ltd
Registered office:

49 Jamaica Street, Glasgow
18 George Square, Glasgow (from c.1882)

Oil works:

The Stanrigg Oil Co. was established by William Black, and shared the same directors as firm of William Black & Sons, coalmasters who operated pits in the Stanrigg area. In 1895 the interests of the two firms, along with other firms controlled by the Black family (including the Blackston Mineral Oil Co.), were merged to form the firm of William Black & Sons Ltd.

Stanrigg Oil Co. is first listed as proprietor of Stanrigg oil works in valuation rolls for 1869, and first appears in the 1872 edition of the Glasgow post office directory. The company were among the last to manufacture coal oil by traditional methods, and appear to have diversified into the refining tars and benzol at Stanrigg in later days. In 1890 the partners of the Stanrigg Oil Co. established the Shettleston Oil and Chemical Co. Ltd to continue this production.


  • Newspaper references
    • Directory entries

      • Stanrigg Oil Co. Airdrie, office; 65 Jamaica St, William Black & Son (Glasgow Post Office directories 1872-73)
      • Stanrigg Oil Co. 49 Jamaica St, Works, Stanrigg, Airdrie (Glasgow Post Office directories 1874-82)
      • Stanrigg Oil Co. mineral oil manufacturers 18, George Sq., works, Stanrigg, Airdrie. (Glasgow Post Office directories 1883-1885)
      • Stanrigg Oil Co. mineral oil manufacturers and tar distillers; works, Stanrigg, Airdrie; office 18, George Sq. (1886-96)

      Entries in successive editions of the Glasgow Post Office directory



      Few deaths in the neighbourhood of Airdrie for many years have caused so universal sorrow and regret, as that of Mr Gavin Black, at Wester Moffat, on Monday evening. Mr Black had been in rather poor health for some time, but till within the last few weeks no one anticipated a fatal termination. The deceased was the fourth son of the late William Black of Brownyside, and only one month ago he followed to the grave the remains of his aged and respected mother, and close beside hers his own now lie in the cemetery at New Monkland. Mr Black was in the very prime of life (46 years of age), and was married 17 years ago to Margaret, elder daughter of ex-Bailie Brown, by whom he is survived ; and he has also left two sons aged 11 and 9 years respectively. A more devoted husband and father than the deceased no one could imagine and great sympathy expressed for the bereaved family.

      For the last years Mr Black has been a partner in the firms of William Black & Sons and Stanrigg Oil Company, which are largely engaged in the coal, iron, mineral oil and coal tar industries, and at their various works give employment to upwards of 1000 workmen. He took an active part in all the business of the firms, and by his surviving partners, ex-Provost Black, Mr William Black, and Mr Jeffrey, his loss will be greatly felt. Amongst the employees of the firms he was greatly respected and his amiable disposition was known to all. He took great interest in agricultural matters, of which he had a thorough knowledge, and was president of the Auchingray Agricultural Society, the success of which he did much to promote. A member of New Monkland Parish Church, he also took an active and generous part in the building and maintenance of the Established Church at Longriggend. A wide circle of relatives and friends - will long remember and lament the loss of Mr Gavin Black.

      Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, 21st September 1889


      Five new joint-stock companies were registered in Scotland during this week, with an aggregate capital of £311,400, making a total of 213 companies registered since the beginning of the year, with a total capital of £9,303,293. The new companies are: - William Black & Sons, Limited, to acquire the collieries carried on by William Black & Sons, coalmasters, Airdrie, Slamannan, and elsewhere, the business of the Stanrigg Oil Company, the collieries, mines and other works carried on by the Blackston Mineral Company, Paisley, and the colliery known as Drongan Castle Colliery, carried on by George Cameron Black. Capital, £130,000, divided into 4000 preference shares of £10 each and 9000 ordinary shares of £10.

      Aberdeen Journal, Saturday 7th November 1895