<<< BACK to previous page

Wales - Coal Oil

Flint & area

    Oil Works & Refineries
    Oil Companies

South Wales

 

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Beyond Scotland > Wales and vicinity > Queensferry Chemical Works

Queensferry chemical works

Location 53.208024, -3.013276, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Hawarden, county of Flint
Current local authority area Flintshire
Opened pre- 1867
Closed c.1947
Number of retorts not known
Ownership history Joseph Turner & Co., Joseph Turner & Co. Ltd., Midland Tar Distillers
Current status of site Site redeveloped and in industrial use.

The firm of Joseph Turner & Co. was established in c.1860 as manufacturers of printing ink, based in Chester. Available evidence suggests that they constructed Queensferry (or Queen's Ferry) Chemical works during the oil boom of the 1864-5, and may have produced crude oil from cannel coal found locally to the works. An advert of 1868 shows that, at that date, they contined to manufacture greases and lubricants (most likely from local coal oil), but also traded and refined imported oils and coal tar chemicals. The business continued to expand and diversify, and was well-placed to refine the coal tars produced in the coke ovens of the north wales steel industry. The firm was formed into a limited company in 1884, and merged into the Midland Tar Distillers Ltd in 1933. Production continued at Queen's Ferry until c.1948.

Joseph Turner & Co are noted to have operated an oil works at Padeswood

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

References

MESSRS. FAREBROTHER, CLARK, and CO. are instructed to SELL AUCTION, at the Queen Hotel, Chester, on Thursday, November the 18th, at two o'clock precisely, the following valuable FREEHOLD ESTATES, situated in the townships of Aston, Saltney, Mancott, Hawarden, Ewloe, and Pentrobin, in the parish of Hawarden, about seven miles from the city of Chester, adjoining the Queen's Ferry Station of the Chester and Holyhead Railway, as follows, viz.:

Lots 7 and 8—The Queen's Ferry Chemical Works, with 25 acres of land let to Joseph Turner, and the Sailors' Home Home or Chapel (in hand) adjoining.

Lots and 45—The valuable Mines of Coal, Cannel Clay, &c, known as the Queen's Ferry, Old Morehay, and Aston Collieries, including valuable Wharfage on the river Dee the greater part let-at fixed rentals of £420, independently of royalties in coal and slack, the remainder undeveloped

The Chester Chronicle; 16th October 1869

.

 

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.