<<< BACK to previous page

Wales - Coal Oil

Flint & area

    Oil Works & Refineries
    Oil Companies

South Wales

 

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Beyond Scotland > Wales and vicinity > Coppa Oil Works

Coppa oil works

Location 53.145867, -3.083296, show in map
Former parish and county Buckley, Mold
Current local authority area Flint
Opened c.1863
Closed plant sold 1893, dismantled 1896
Number of retorts 198 (in 1865)
Ownership history Coppa Oil Co. Ltd
Coppa Oil Co.
Current status of site Parkland and woodland

One of the largest and longest lived of the Welsh oil works, probably a development of the Coppa Colliery oil works

These are described in an account by "onlooker" published in Rylands' Iron Trade Circular on 11th November 1865:

The Coppa Company's Works, which lie close to the Leeswood Colliery , from whence, I believe, they draw a portion of their great supply, are neighbouring to the (Padeswood) station and cover seven acres of ground. They are like gas works on a small scale, only the tanks are under ground. They have 198 retorts, each of 15cwt. Capacity; and 16 stills so that they possess a capacity of producing 1,500 gallons, equal to 120 tons of oil weekly.

The first edition OS map, surveyed c.1869, show this large scale works in operation. The seven long parallel structures to the north of Coppa Colliery seem likely to be benches of retorts in which crude oil was extracted from cannel coal. Other long structures on a different alignment might be benches of stills for refining oil products. The factory buildings on the west side of the branch railway might be associated with the further refining and processing of oil into lubricants and burning oils (but might alternatively be associated with operations of other companies)

It appears that the works remained intact until 1893

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

References

The Coppa Company's works, which lie close to the Leeswood Colliery, from whence, believe, they draw a portion of their great supply, are neighbouring to the station, and cover seven acres of ground. They are like gas works on a small scale, only the tanks are underground. They have 198 retorts, each of 15 cwt. capacity, and 16 stills, so that they possess a capacity of producing 1,500 gallons, equal to 120 tons of oil weekly. The shares of this company are chiefly held, I think, in Birmingham, and they have been doing a comfortable 10 per cent, business for the last three years, through all the difficulties attendant on the first experiments

The Western Daily Press, 17th November 1865, quoting Ryland's Iron Trade Gazette

 

COPPA OIL COMPANY, LIMITED. This company, which is of local origin, and whose shares are mainly held in Birmingham, held its annual meeting on Wednesday, at the works, near Mold, Mr. Thomas Short, the chairman of the board, presided. A dividend at the rate of 10 per cent, was declared. The company has recently been extended, and the three partners of a neighbouring colliery, producing cannel coal, have been admitted, so as to place the company on a wider basis, both with respect to capital and a supply of coals. The works are very important, and are said to be admirably arranged

The Birmingham Daily Post, 5th March 1866

 

Presentation. — On the 9th inst., the friends and a number of workmen from the Coppa Oil Works, Padeswood, near Mold, met at Mr Williams's Queen's Arms Inn, Pontblyddyn, for the purpose of presenting to Mr Robert Hughes, late foreman of the crude oil department, at those works, a very nice piece of workmanship, viz., a gold albert chain and locket, on which was the following inscription: — "Presented to Robert Hughes by the workmen of the Coppa Oil Works, Padeswood, near Mold, April 9th, 1866." Mr Mason took the chair, and Mr Evans the vice-chair. Mr Mason, in a very able speech, alluded to the loss his companions and workmen, who had been employed under him, would feel by his leaving them. Mr Evans gave a very good speech in favour of the subscribers. Mr E. C. Griffiths presented the testimonial to him on behalf of the subscribers. The usual toasts and songs were given, and the company separated at an early hour, after passing a very pleasant evening. — Mr Hughes is leaving this neighbourhood to fill a similar situation in Labuan, off the coast of Borneo, in the eastern seas.

The Wrexham Advertiser, 14th April 1866

 

On Tuesday morning a man named George Jones, who was employed at the Coppa Oil Works, Padeswood, near Mold, met with so serious an accident that his death ensued. Some petroleum that was in course of manufacture ignited, Jones being close to where the explosion took place. Most of his clothes were burnt to tinder, and he was dreadfully burnt from his face down, to his feet.

The Wrexham Advertiser, 21st April 1866

 

TO MINERAL OIL REFINERS – Manager Wanted. The Coppa Oil Company (Limited) are prepared to receive applications for the Situation of Manager of their works. He must be practically acquainted with Refining of Coal Oil in all its branches. Address, with full particulars, The Secretary of the Coppa Oil Co. (Limited), Mold Flintshire.

The Scotsman, 9th June 1866

 

THE COPPA PARK OILWORKS, PADESWOOD, a minutes walk from Padeswood Station, on the Chester, Mold and Denbeigh Railway, about three miles from Mold, Flintshire. Catalogue of a highly important sale of valuable PLANT and MACHINERY, comprising thirty-three valuable wrought iron tanks of various dimensions, a large number equal to new; two 1,250 gallon wrought iron stills, with cast iron domes and necks, in good working order; five large cast iron agitators with beaters, strap pulleys and cogs, complete for driving, having capacity for washing 1,300 gallons, two of which are lined with sheet lead; useful 4-horsepower horizontal engine, 6 in. cylinder 12 in stroke with fly wheel, strap-pulley and connections; would suit a farmer admirably.

The Wrexham Advertiser,13th May 1893.

 

A serious accident happened on Saturday, at the Coppa Park Oilworks. Mr George Connah, of the Druid lnn, Pontblyddyn. was engaged in dismantling the old oilworks, and whilst engaged under an archway it suddenly collapsed, and he was buried beneath the debris. He was working alone but fortunately the accident was witnessed by a passer by Mr John Hulmston, who promptly secured assistance and extricated the unfortunate man.

The Wrexham Advertiser, 3rd October 1896

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.