<<< BACK to previous page

Wales - Coal Oil

Flint & area

    Oil Works & Refineries
    Oil Companies

South Wales

 

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Beyond Scotland > Wales and vicinity > Coed Talon Oil Works

Coed Talon oil works

Location Uncertain; perhaps, 53.119075, -3.091486, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Tryddyn ? County of Flint
Current local authority area Flintshire
Opened pre-1865
Closed c.1865
Number of retorts not known
Ownership history Barlow & Jeffs
Current status of site shrub and woodland

The Coed Talon works of Barlow & Jeffs appears both in the 1865 coal commission list of oil works and in the 1868 Slater's trade directory. A report of court action in May 1868 records that Barlow & Jeff's oil works and associated machinery had been sold to Richard Claney, landlord of the Coach and Horses Inn, Boughton, presumably for scrap.

The location of the oil works is not known for certain, however an unlabeled site shown shown on the second edition OS map (1872) seems a possible candidate. This site lies immediately south of the Canneline Oil works, contains a number of small buildings, and is served by a railway siding

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.