<<< BACK to previous page

Wales - Coal Oil

Flint & area

    Oil Works & Refineries
    Oil Companies

South Wales

 

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Beyond Scotland > Wales and vicinity > British Oil Works

British Oil Works, Saltney

Location 53.180456, -2.923226, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Hawarden, Flint
Current local authority area Cheshire
Opened c.1865
Closed c.1867? final contents auctioned 1874?
Number of retorts None - refinery only
Ownership history Saltney Oil Refining Company
Meadow Vale and Saltney Paraffin Oil Refining Co. Ltd
British Oil & Cannel Company Ltd.
Current status of site Site now modern industrial premises

A small-scale oil refinery, built by the British Oil & Cannel Co. Ltd. to process crude oil produced at the company's Meadow Vale Oil Works in Leeswood. The refinery site lay close to St. David's Oil Works, Saltney and was well placed for distribution of products by rail or sea. On failure of the British Oil & Cannel Co. in 1867, the premises, described as:

"A plot of land containing 3,500 superficial square yards or thereabouts, situated in Saltney, near Chester, in the parish of Hawarden and county of Flint, together with the oil refinery and grease manufactory, buildings, office, stable, and other erections."

Many of the refinery buildings appear subsequently to have re-used as a manure works.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

References

Depression of Trade at Saltney.......The first oil works, known as the British Oil and Cannel Company are now closed, but the inhabitants are not very sorry, on account of the obnoxious effluvia.

The Cheshire Observer, 21st December 1867

 

Important Sale of Plant and Machinery and other Effects at the BRITISH OIL WORKS, SALTNEY, near Chester. MESSRS. CHURTON, ELPHICK, A Co. beg to announce that they have been favoured with instructions from Messrs. E. S. Rogers and Co., to SELL BY AUCTION (without reserve) on Wednesday, the 16th September, 1874, commencing at Twelve o'clock noon, punctually, the whole of the valuable PLANT and MACHINERY, including several large cast and wrought- iron and wood store, receiving and bleaching tanks; cast-iron pan to hold two tons; melting pan, 30cwt. iron jacketed pan and fittings, cast-iron 45 barrel still, with worm and tank; wagon boiler still, separators; wrought iron agitators, brass force pump and fittings, iron pumps with eccentric rods, tin pumps, cast-iron well, wood tank for steaming barrels, a large assortment of oil and grease casks, drum barrels, a very valuable horizontal high-pressure STEAM ENGINE, 12 inch cylinder, 2.5 feet stroke, with reversible lever and fittings, by George Bennie & Co., Glasgow; driving straps large CORNISH BOILER, 20 feet long by 5 feet 10 inches in diameter, with fittings complete ; superheater, two weighing machines, quantity of Cast-iron piping and fittings, iron shafting and pulleys, hand-screw paraffin press, complete; tool chest, with stocks and dyes; coopers' tools,- iron and wood trolleys, wheelbarrows, T iron for roofing, iron tramway, quantity of lamp black, pitch, and cement; wood stages and ladders, the contents of the blacksmith's shop, and other miscellaneous effects. N.B.— Catalogues may be had at the Offices of the Auctioneers, Chester, and Whitchurch (Salop).

The Cheshire Observer, 22nd August 1874

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.