<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > Steuart & Co,

Robert Steuart & Co.

Constitution Copartnership
Date of Formation active in the oil business from c.1865
Date of Dissolution active in the oil business until c.1874 ?
Office not known
Oil works Westwood Paraffin Oil Works

Captain Robert Steuart (often spelled "Stewart") of Westwood House was active in exploiting the mineral resources of his estate. Work began in construction of the Westwood paraffin oil works c.1865, the proprietor being recorded in valuation rolls as "Robert Stewart (?) & Co. The 1870 Post Office directory for Edinburghshire lists "Steuart & Co., Westwood oil works, West Calder"

From 1869 valuation rolls records the proprietors as "Captain Robert Stewart / Westwood Oil Company". It is not know whether this reflects a change in the ownership or status of the firm.

 

Partners

Property

 

References

MINERAL OIL FIELD TO BE LET. A MINERAL FIELD, of about 230 Acres-containing Several Seams of Superior Bituminous Shale, with Smithy and other Coals, Fireclay, Ironstone and Limestone, in the Estate of Westwood, lying in the parish of Livingstone, about a mile distant from the Edinburgh, Bathgate, and Morningside Railway, and well suited for an extensive Mineral Oil Work, is to so Let. For further particulars and terms, application may be made to the Proprietor, Robert Steuart, Esq of Westwood, West Calder; Thomas Sprot, Esq., W.S, Edinburgh; or Messrs. Mackenzie & Moore, M.E., Glasgow.

The Scotsman, 24th August 1864

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.