<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > Stanrigg Oil Co.

Stanrigg Oil Co.

Constitution Copartnership
Date of Incorporation Operations commenced circa 1866
Date of Dissolution Operations ceased in 1895 upon the formation of William Black & Sons Ltd
Office 49 Jamaica Street, Glasgow; 18 George Square, Glasgow (from c.1882)
Oil works Stanrigg Oil Works

The Stanrigg Oil Co. was established by William Black, and shared the same directors as firm of William Black & Sons, coalmasters who operated pits in the Stanrigg area. In 1895 the interests of the two firms, along with other firms controlled by the Black family (including the Blackston Mineral Oil Co.), were merged to form the firm of William Black & Sons Ltd

Stanrigg Oil Co. is first listed as proprietor of Stanrigg oil works in valuation rolls for 1869, and first appears in the 1872 edition of the Glasgow post office directory. The company were among the last to manufacture coal oil by traditional methods, and appear to have diversified into the refining tars and benzol at Stanrigg in later days. In 1890 the partners of the Stanrigg Oil Co. established the Shettleston Oil and Chemical Co. Ltd to continue this production.

 

Partners

Property

 

References

Directory entries

Entires in successive editions of the Glasgow Post Office directory

 

SCOTTISH JOINT-STOCK COMPANIES

Five new joint-stock companies were registered in Scotland during this week, with an aggregate capital of £311,400, making a total of 213 companies registered since the beginning of the year, with a total capital of £9,303,293. The new companies are: - William Black & Sons, Limited, to acquire the collieries carried on by William Black & Sons, coalmasters, Airdrie, Slamannan, and elsewhere, the business of the Stanrigg Oil Company, the collieries, mines and other works carried on by the Blackston Mineral Company, Paisley, and the colliery known as Drongan Castle Colliery, carried on by George Cameron Black. Capital, £130,000, divided into 4000 preference shares of £10 each and 9000 ordinary shares of £10.

Aberdeen Journal, Saturday 7th November 1895

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.