<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > Oakbank Oil Co

Oakbank Oil Co.

Constitution Co- partnership
Date of Formation c. 1863?
Date of Dissolution c.1866
Office not known
Oil works Oakbank Oil Works

A business enterprise involving Sir James Simpson (presumably Professor James Young Simpson, Professor of of medicine and midwifery at Edinburgh University, now famed as a pioneer of anaesthesia), the Hare family, owners of the Calderhall estate, and William McKinley

Redwood noted:

"In 1860 Sir James Simpson started a works at Oakbank, Mid Calder, Midlothian, and after receiving fairly good returns on his investment for three years, he formed a private company which was very successful, and led to the oil work and mineral fields finally becoming the property of a limited liability company which was floated in 1869".

This may not be wholly accurate. First mention of the works appear in valuation rolls for 1863 when minerals are noted as being owned by Stewart Bayley Hare, and the works operated by "Hare Simpson & McKinlay". In 1865 the proprietors were listed as operated by the Oakbank Oil Co., presumably a title for the partnership of Hare, Simpson & McKinley.

The partners formed a limited company, the Mid-Calder Mineral Oil Co. Ltd. in 1866 to take forward the business, but sold the works and mineral rights early in 1868.

The Oakbank Oil Co. Ltd, a new company, with a new board of directors, was constituted in 1869 to resume oil production and mining at Oakbank

Partners

Property

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.