<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > James Nimmo & Co.

James Nimmo & Co.

Constitution Copartnership
Date of Formation 1860s ?
Date of Dissolution On formation of James Nimmo & Company Ltd in 1893?
Office 16 Bothwell Street Glasgow
Oil works Longrigg Oil Works

The Nimmo family were coalmasters whose operations were initially focussed on the Slamannan area. Evidence suggests that John Nimmo, (operating as the firm of John Nimmo) opened his first colliery at Drumclair in 1857, and later established Grangepans Oil Works and Limerigg Oil Works. John had four sons, all of whom were active in the coal trade. The precise relationship between their various business interests is unclear but it is assumed that James Nimmo & Company was formed by James, son of John Nimmo. James also seem to have been part of the copartnership of Nimmo & McKillop, coalmasters at Drumclair, Lochhouse and Bowhouse during the early 1870s.

In addition to a rapidly expanding colliery business, James Nimmo & Company established the short-lived Longrigg Oil Works in the early 1880s. The firm was floated as a limited company in 1893 (company No. 2580) and restructured in 1897 (company No. 3639) and operated a range of collieries in Lanarkshire and Stirlingshire, some of which survived to be taken over by the National Coal Board in 1947.

 

Partners

 

Property

 

References

Listings from successive editions of the Glasgow Post Office directory/p>

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.