<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > George Miller & Co.

George Miller & Co.

Constitution Copartnership
Date of Formation Prior to 1842
Date of Dissolution After 1905
Office 83, Jamaica Street, Glasgow; 72 Great Clyde Street, Glasgow; 34 Bothwell Street, Glasgow; 84 Mitchell Street, Glasgow; 75 Union Street, Glasgow
Oil works Rumford Street Chemical Works

The firm of George Miller & Company was established prior to 1842, and developed the Rumford Street Chemical Works to process the by-products of the adjacent Dalmarnock gas works. The production of tars, naptha and asphalts remained the mainstay of the company (which continued until at least 1905), but there are indications that refined mineral oils during the late 1860's and early 1870's.

George Miller was brother to John Miller (of John Miller & Company) proprietors of Sandilands Chemical Works, Aberdeen, and to James Miller (of James Miller, Son & Company) drysalters and chemical brokers. Robert Binning and John Poynter, at one time partners in the firm of George Miller & Company, both left the firm to set up their own mineral oil businesses.

George Miller appears to have left the firm c.1870, and is recorded as Chairman of Bothwell and Uddingston Gas Company Ltd. The contents of his home at Wingfield, Bothwell, were put to auction in May 1878 following his death.

Partners

Property

Resources

Listings from successive editions of the Glasgow Post Office directory

George Miller

From the Glasgow Post Office Directory 1855

 

References

BY mutual consent, the undersigned JOHN POYNTER, on the 31st day of July 1857, ceased to be a Partner in the Copartnership Business previously carried on by him and the other Subscribers, as Manufacturing Chemists, Oil Merchants, and Asphalters in Glasgow,under the Firm of GEORGE MILLER & COMPANY.
JOHN POYNTER.
GEO. MILLER.
ROB. BINNING.
ADAM PATERSON, Witness. THOS. J. SMILLIE, Witness. Glasgow, 1st December 1857.

The Edinburgh Gazette 8th December 1857

 

George Miller & Co., 34 Bothwell Street, Glasgow beg to call attention of Wholesale Dealers to their MINERAL OIL LAMPS, which cannot be surpassed for cheapness and burning power. Price lists and pattern books sent on application. A supply of PHOTOGENE OIL guaranteed to buyers of lamps.

The Glasgow Herald, 30th September 1861

 

CONTRACTORS WANTED by George Miller & Co., for the carting connected with their GENERAL ASPHALTE BUSINESS. From twelve to fifteen horses required Daily. All particulars obtained by applying at 130 Hope St. or 89 Rumford Street.

The Glasgow Herald, 12th July 1872

 

At the DALMARNOCK CHEMICAL WORKS, RUMFORD STREET, on Thursday 19th May at one o'clock; Sale, by Auction of ASPHALTER'S PLANT (The property of Messrs George Miller & Co., who have given up the Asphalting Branch of their business.) James Laird has received instructions to sell as above. Particulars in Catalgoues, forwarded free, 19th Gordon Street.

The Glagow Herald, 23rd May 1890

 

DEATH OF MR ROBERT MILLER. In the death of Mr Robert Miller, which occurred in London towards the close of last week, Glasgow has lost a very useful citizen. Born at Paisley about sixty-three years ago, Mr Miller came to the city when a very young man, and ultimately became senior partner of Messrs James Miller, Son & Co., drysalter and chemical brokers, a firm which was founded by his father in 1848, and sole partner of Messrs George Miller & Co., chemical manufacturers, in succession to his uncle. Although a busy man, he found time to take part in pursuits that were not connected with commerce.

The Glasgow Herald, 1st May 1893

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.