<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > Dalmeny Oil Co. Ltd. (1871)

Dalmeny Oil Co. Ltd. (1871)

Constitution Limited Company
Company Number. Registered in Scotland, No. 370A
Share Capital £27,000
Date of Incorporation 20th October 1871
Date of Dissolution 10th August 1897
Registered Office Dalmeny Oil Works
Oil Works Dalmeny Oil Works

A company established to purchase and develop Dalmeny Oil Works, which had been constructed by the failed Kirkliston Oil Company, the interests of which had been acquired by George Gray of Levenseat. The company regularly paid dividends of 20 percent of more

Directors

Property

Resources

References

The seven Dalmeny subscribers were two sons of Lord Rosebery's factor, residing in Dalmeny, along with William Drummond of 42 Frederick Street, Edinburgh, the secretary to the company; George Roberts, an Edinburgh builder; James Roberts, also an Edinburgh builder; James Mill [Hill] of 26 Heriot Row, Edinburgh; and William Reid of 7 Palmerston Place, Edinburgh. It is not surprising, therefore, that £19,190 (85.33 per cent) of the company's nominal capital was subscribed by individuals with addresses in Edinburgh, the Lothians, and Dunfermline and Inverkeithing in Fife.

Scotland's First Oil Boom, The Scottish Shale-Oil Industry, 1851-1914, John McKay, Page 139

 

This Company is being formed for the purpose of acquiring the Dalmeny Shale and Oil Works, near Queensferry, with the Lease of the Shale and other Minerals in part of the Dalmeny Estate of the Earl of Rosebery. The Mineral Field is intersected by the Queensferry Branch of the North British Railway Company, and the Works are connected with that Branch by a short Line of Private Railway. The extent and contents of the Mineral Field have been amply proved by Mineral Workings and Boring. The Mining Machinery has been completed so as to admit of an Output of 200 Tonnes of Shale per Day, and, by a little further expenditure, this can be easily increased. The Oil Works were erected within the last eighteen months, having been gradually extended during that time as the Commercial value of the undertaking was proved. They contain 38 Upright and 44 Horizontal Retorts, with relative Machinery and Plant. The Works use 63 Tons of Shale per Day, producing 32¾ Gallons per Ton in Vertical Retorts, and 27½ Gallons per Ton in Horizontal Retorts. A relatively small proportion of additional expense will increase the Oil Works, so as to use the Output available from the Mining Plant. The Seams of Shale are of much greater thickness than usual in other Shale Fields in Scotland, and the Oil is noted in the Market for its excellent quality. The Report by Mr. John R. Williamson, M.E., Edinburgh annexed to the Prospectus, contains a description of the Field and Works.

Glsgow Herald, 5th October 1871

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.