<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > James Anderson & Son

James Anderson & Son

Constitution Co-partnership
Date of Formation 1871 or earlier
Date of Dissolution Sequestered, 18th July 1878
Office 33 Renfield Street, Glasgow;
11 West Nile Street, Glasgow;
18 Renfield Street, Glasgow
Oil Works Linwood Shale Oil Works

James Anderson & Company; (described as coalmasters, iron merchants, and oil manufacturers), were proprietors of the Linwood Oil Shale Oil Works. The firm leased minerals in the Linwood area from the landowner, Thomas Spiers of Blackstoun, and appear to have worked both coal for resale and shale from their Linwood pit.

 

Partners

Property

References

THE Subscriber James Peat Anderson has, by mutual arrangement with his Copartners, the other Subscribers, Mrs. Jessie Snell or Anderson and William Campbell Ure, retired from the Copartnership Concern carried on by them and him as sole Partners thereof, under the Firm of JAMES ANDERSON & SON, Coalmasters, Iron Merchants, and Oil Manufacturers at Linwood, near Paisley, and in Glasgow, as at the 31st day of December 1873, from and since which date the Business has been and will hereafter continue to be carried on by the other Subscribers under the same Firm. Glasgow, 9th March 1874.
JESSIE ANDERSON.
JAMES PEAT ANDERSON.
WM. CAMPBELL URE.
D. FORBES, of 45 West George Street, Glasgow, Solicitor, Witness. ALEX. FRASER MACBEAN, of 45 West George Street, Glasgow, Clerk-at-Law, Witness. 

The Edinburgh Gazette, 10th March 1874

THE Subscriber Mrs. Jessie Snell or Anderson has of mutual consent retired from the Copartnership Concern carried on by her and the other Subscriber William Campbell Ure, as sole Partners thereof, under the Firm of JAMES ANDERSON & SON, Coal Masters, Iron Merchants, and Oil Manufacturers, at Linwood, near Paisley, and in Glasgow, as at the date hereof, from and after which date the Business has been and will continue to be carried on by the other Subscriber under the same Firm. Glasgow, 26th October 1874.
JESSIE ANDERSON.
WM. CAMPBELL URE.
D. FORBES, of 45 West George Street, Glasgow, Solicitor, Witness. ALEX. FRASER MACBEAN, of 45 West George Street, Glasgow, Clerk-at-Law, Witness.

The Edinburgh Gazette, 27th October 1874

The Estates of JAMES ANDERSON & SON, Coal Merchants, Glasgow, and of William Campbell Ure, Coal Merchant there, sole Partner of the said Firm, as such, and as an Individual, were Sequestrated on the 18th day of July 1878, by the Sheriff of the County of Lanark. The first Deliverance is dated the 18th day of July 1878. The Meeting to elect the Trustee and Commissioners is to be held at one o'clock afternoon, on Tuesday the 30th day of July current, within the Faculty of Procurators' Hall, Saint George's Place, Glasgow. A Composition may be offered at this Meeting; and to entitle Creditors to the first Dividend, their oaths and grounds of debt must be lodged on or before the 18th day of November 1878. A Warrant of Personal Protection has been granted to the Bankrupt. All future Advertisements relating to this Sequestration will be published in the Edinburgh Gazette alone. THOMAS J. SMILLIE, of 175 West George Street, Glasgow, Agent.

The Edinburgh Gazette, 19th July 1878

 

Directory entries

Relevant details from successive editions of the Paisley and district trade directory

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.