<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > Adam & Hamilton.

Adam & Hamilton

Constitution Copartnership
Date of Formation 1866 or earlier
Date of Dissolution 1871 or later
Office not known
Oil Works Sheepford Locks Oil Works

Valuation rolls record that "Adam and Hamilton" were proprietors of Sheepford Locks Oil Works between 1867 and 1871. A newspaper account (see The Scotsman, 28/01/68, below) describes a new oilworks belonging to "Adam & Hamilton, Coalmaster, Airdrie", owner of a number of pits in the area. No other references to the firm are currently known.

Editions of "Slater's Royal national commercial of Scotland" were published in 1861 and 1878; neither list the firm of Adam & Hamilton, but includes individuals with those surnames under the lists of Coalmasters in Airdrie:

Property

Resources

AIRDRIE –New Oil Work. – Another addition is about to be made to the numerous crude oil works already in existence in and around this locality. A considerable extent of ground, situated near the village of Coatdyke, has been feued for the purpose, and building operations have commenced. The work, which is a large one, belongs to Messrs Adam & Hamilton, Coalmasters, Airdrie, who have already a number of pits in the neighbourhood putting out large quantities of shale. Operations will be commenced as soon as the retorts can be erected.

The Scotsman, 27th January 1868.

 

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.