<<< BACK to previous page

Oil Companies

 

 

Navigation

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Companies > Abercorn Oil Co.

Abercorn Oil Company

Constitution Co-partnership
Date of Formation Operations commenced c.1872
Date of Dissolution Operations ceased 1880 upon formation of the Walkinshaw Oil Company Ltd
Office 48 Dundas Street, Glasgow (1874-1875);
4 Bath Street, Glasgow (1878-1879)
Oil Works Inkerman Oil Works

Abercorn Oil Company was formed in about 1872. The Company's Inkerman Oil Works, located in the Parish of Barony, Renfrewshire, first appears in valuation records in 1872. The Company is listed as Manufacturers of Crude Shale Oil, 48 Dundas Street, Glasgow with works at Inkermann, near Paisley in the 1874-1875 Post Office Glasgow Directory, and Manufacturers of Crude Shale Oil and Bricks, 4 Bath Street, Glasgow with works at Inkermann, near Paisley in the 1878-1879 Directory.

On the 24th September 1880 an agreement was made to amalgamate the undertakings, property and assets of the Abercorn Oil Company with those of James Liddell & Company in order to enlarge and improve on their works and businesses. The new, amalgamated company was named the Walkinshaw Oil Company Ltd.

 

Partners

Property

Resources

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.