<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Woodhall Oil Works

Woodhall Oil Works

Location 55.813879, -3.965627. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Bothwell, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Constructed c.1866
Ownership history Thomas Gibb and Adam Nish
Demolition history Presumably demolished c.1868
Current status of site Probably beneath housing

Background

Not listed by Redwood

The notice of the public roup of the works (see snippets below) indicate that they were sited:

"about a quarter mile from Holytown Station, Caledonian Railway, and are connected by a Branch with the Main Line"

This suggests that the oil works may have been associated with pits to the north west of Holytown station, served by a branch line marked on the 1864 map. There is a suggestion that the works might have been associated with Merry & Cunninghame's coal workings.

Valuation Records

Entries for 1866 and 1867 note fifteen retorts. Download Details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Snippets

TO BE SOLD BY PUBLIC ROUP, AT WOODHALL OIL-WORKS, BY HOLYTOWN, On Monday, 23rd MARCH, at Half-past One o’clock, The Whole PLANT and STOCK-IN-TRADE at the above Works, comprising 15 Retorts, complete, 3 Oil Cisterns, (two of them can be used for steam purposes), about 22 Tons of Pit Rails, Set of Hutch Weighs, Hutches, Wheelbarrows, Planks. Office with Furnishings, Stable with Furnishings, Quantity of Pitwood, Sleepers, and other wood, about 200 Crude Oil Barrels, Bellows, Anvil, and other Smithy Tools, Scrap Iron, &c., 1 Pit Pony and 2 sets of Pony Harness, about 15,000 Gallons Crude Oil. The usual Credit or Discount. The Works are distant about a quarter mile from Holytown Station, Caledonian Railway, and are connected by a Branch with the Main Line. J. SHIRLAW & SON, Auctioneers, Wishaw 2nd March 1868. The Scotsman 14th March 1868.

HOLYTOWN. SALE OF OILWORKS – On Monday the oilworks belonging to Messrs Gibb and Neish, at Woodhall, were exposed by public roup, when 15 retorts were sold to Mr Ferrie, of Calderbank, for the sum of £165, and 1500 gallons of crude oil to Mr George Roberton, of Glentower, at about 3d per gallon. The Hamilton Advertiser 28th March 1868

MINERAL FIELD ON WOODHALL ESTATE TO BE LET.-The COAL IRONSTONE and FIRECLAY in the LEGBRANNOCK, KENNELBURN and CREEWOOD DIVISIONS of the Woodhall Estate, In the Parish of Bothwell, and extending to about 900 Acres, are to be Lot from Whitsunday,1870, in One or more Lots, as may suit applicants The Minerals are already partially wrought and mines are in active operation thereon. The Monkland Canal Terminus is within the field, and access to the Caledonian Railway near Holytown Station may be had by a private branch railway. The Glasgow Herald 18th January 1870

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.