<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Whiterigg oil works

Whiterigg Oil Works

also known as Craigmauken Chemical Works

Location Possible location: 55.884496, -3.953001, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Possibly constructed c. 1860
Ownership history John James Patison
Demolition history Possibly dismantled c.1880
Current status of site Agriculture presumably following opencast mining of the area

Background

Redwood notes that Whiterigg Oil Works, proprietor James Pattison [sic], operated between 1865 and 1870.

A small early oilworks, little larger than a laboratory, which was operated by James Patison for about twenty years. Frequent advertisments in the Glasgow Herald gives the impression that Patison furnished his works with items of second hand plant and machinery.

It should be noted that Stanrigg Oil Works was also sometimes referred to as Whiterigg Oil Works

Valuation Records

Entries (for Craigmauken) from 1862 to 1880. Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Images

Snippets

FIRE AT AN OIL WORKS – About four o'clock yesterday morning (Tuesday) fire accidentally broke out in Whiterigg Oil Works, Whiterigg, belonging to William Black, Esq., coalmaster, there. The fire originated in one of the retorts, and speedily communicated with the stock of manufactured oil, the most of which was barrelled. Out of 21 retorts, 16 were partially destroyed, and 2000 gallons of oil consumed in the conflagration. The fire lasted for about four hours, and through the activity of William Black jun., and a number of workmen, Captain Clark, and some constables, a considerable quantity of barrelled oil was secured. The loss is estimated at about £300. The Glasgow Daily Herald 15th November 1865

AIR-BLAST APPARATUS, Steam Engine, 10-inch cylinder and boiler complete; price, £110.- John Patison, Whiterigg, Airdrie. The Glasgow Herald 22nd February 1872

PLANKS suitable for scaffolding or pit shafts (about 240, little used) John Patison, Whiterigg, Airdrie. The Glasgow Herald, 8th May 1874.

PIPES, about 24 inch inside, branches in each prefered, also charcoal mill; state price. John Patison, Whiterigg, Airdrie. The Glasgow Herald 5th February 1875

ESTATE (Agricultural and Mineral), over 300 acres, 5 per cent , for Sale. John Patison, Whiterigg Chemical Works, Airdrie. The Scotsman 26th April 1875

COPPER WORM for still, with iron tank cooler £6, Iron pan, 6ft diameter £5; Pattison, Whitrigg, Airdrie. The Glasgow Herald, 10th October 1879.

PIPE or HOSE (flexible), a few yards, 2.5 or 3 inches inside, coiled with wire; Patison, Whiterigg, Airdrie. The Glasgow Herald 27th April 1880.

John James Patison... was born in Leith in 1828, and ultimately lived in Airdrie, at Barblues Cottage, where he commenced experiments with the carbonisation of shale....Following on from these early experiments he stated shortly afterwards a chemical works at Stand, near Airdrie, which was subsequently removed – either in 1856 or 1857 – to Whiterigg, also near Airdrie, being known as Whiterigg Chemical Works. The first process carried out was the distillation of shale refuse for the production of oil, and Patison was one of the earliest practical workers in the commercial development of the Scottish shale oil industry.......All his life Patison remained keenly interested in the shale oil industry. He carried on the Whiterigg Chemical Works along with a son until 1886, when he retired from active business; and he died at Inverkeithing, in Fifeshire, in July 1905. "Some Notes on a Neglected Worthy" by David Brownlie, published in The People,s Journal?, 4th February 1925.

Accident Records

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.