<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Westwood Paraffin Works

Westwood Paraffin Works

Location Uncertain; perhaps in the area of: 55.851553, -3.596550, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Livingstone, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Presumably built c. 1866
Ownership history Captain Robert Stewart & Company, Westwood Oil Company
Demolition history Dismantled after 1871
Current status of site Rough grazing

Background

Redwood refers to "Stewart's Oil works" on the Stewart Estate, West Calder, which operated between 1863 and 1865.

The precise location of the works is unknown. David Kerr (Shale Oil Scotland, 2nd edition 1999) refers to the Westwood works as being at Breichdykes, but provides no source for this information. An article in the Scotsman (see below) records that the works were to be linked to the West Calder loop line of the Caledonian Railway. A siding seems to have left the loop line about 200m east of Westwood Rows, crossing the road east of Breichdykes Cottage and curving round to a site close to the Breich Water, immediately south of Breichdykes Farm. This seems the most likely site of the oilworks. The OS maps show little trace of the railway route, however the line can easily be traced in 1950's aerial photographs.

For associated mining activity see Briechdykes pits.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1866 -1871, thereafter minerals owned by Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd. Download details

Map showing route of railway

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Recent Images

Resources

National Records of Scotland CS96/5038 to CS96/5038 C H Pennycook and Company, engineers, Glasgow
Robert Steuart of Westwood, Midlothian. Correspondence concerning design of condensers and connections 1865-66

Snippets

Caledonian Railway – The Cleland and Mid-Calder Line. The Loop Line, which is the longest of these branches, , is already connected to the oil-works of Messrs. Fell & Raeburn, and will shortly be connected with that belonging to Mr Stewart of Westwood. The Scotsman 26th November 1868.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.