<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > St. Rollox Oil Works

St. Rollox Oil Works

Location Unknown, perhaps in the vicinity of 55.870378, -4.238574 show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Barony, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area City of Glasgow
Construction history First in operation c.1883 ?
Ownership history Cairns & Company
Demolition history Production ceased c.1885?
Current status of site Industrial and commercial area

Background

Redwood notes that the works were operated between 1860 and 1865 by Cairns & Company.

No reference has been found to "St Rollox Oil Works", "Cairns & Co.", or any related entry in any Glasgow post office directories published during the 1860's or 70's. The earliest known reference to St Rollox Oil Works appears in the 1883/4 Glasgow post office directory which lists "Bruce & Co., oil manufacturers and refiners, St Rollox Oil Works. The1884/5 directory lists "Cairns & Co., St. Rollox Oil Works, 83-85 North Oswald St.. In 1885 the Edinburgh Gazette recorded the sequestration of Cairns & Co.

North Oswald Street lay in the industrial area of St Rollox, to the south of the Monkland Canal. It remains unclear why this small short-lived refinery was included in Redwood's list of oil works.

Valuation Records

Not yet located.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Snippets

The estates of Cairns and Company, Oil Refiners and Manufacturers, Saint Rollox Oil Works, North Oswald Street, Glasgow, and Walter Cairns and Matthew Wyllie, the Individual Partners thereof, as such Partners, and as Individuals, were sequestrated on the 7th. of December, 1885, by the Sheriff of Lanarkshire. The first deliverance is dated the 7th of December,1885.The meeting to elect the Trustee and Commissioners is to be held at twelve o'clock, noon, on Friday, the 18th of December, 18S5, within the Faculty-hall, Saint George's-place, Glasgow. The Edinburgh Gazette 11th December 1885

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.