<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Shettleston Oil Works

Shettleston Oil Works

Location 55.852496, -4.141783, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Barony, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area City of Glasgow
Construction history Built c. 1890
Ownership history Shettleston Oil & Chemical Company Ltd
Demolition history Cleared after 1958?
Current status of site Waste ground and distribution depot

Background

Redwood notes that Shettleston Oil and Chemical Company was started in 1891 and was still going.

All original directors of the Shettleston Oil & Chemical Works had associations with the Stanrigg Oil Works. The Company was acquired by Scottish Tar Distillers in 1945 and wound-up in 1958.

Valuation Records

Still to be researched.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Snippets

"An English company put up a plant at Shettleston to extract benzol, but was unsuccessful. On his own initiative Robert Dunlop negotiated a good price to buy the disused plant, and became a partner when the resulting Shettleston Oil and Chemical Co. Ltd was formed in December 1890. The number of oil companies in Scotland was dwindling, and most of them were making losses in real terms, yet the revitalised works at Shettleston lasted right through until 1958." from Robert Dunlop by Margaret Ford, published in the Edinburgh Geologist, issue 20, Spring 1988

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.