<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Sheepford Locks Oil Works

Sheepford Locks Oil Works

Location Location uncertain, probably in the vicinity of:,55.858894, -4.004693. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Presumably constructed c. 1867
Ownership history Adam & Hamilton
Demolition history Presumably cleared after 1872
Current status of site Uncertain

Background

Not listed by Redwood.

Sheepford Locks were on the Monkland Canal, close to Rochsolloch. OS plans provide few clues as the precise location of the oil works.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1867 and 1872. Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Snippets

AIRDRIE –New Oil Work. – Another addition is about to be made to the numerous crude oil works already in existence in and around this locality. A considerable extent of ground, situated near the village of Coatdyke, has been feued for the purpose, and building operations have commenced. The work, which is a large one, belongs to Messrs Adam & Hamilton, Coalmasters, Airdrie, who have already a number of pits in the neighbourhood putting out large quantities of shale. Operations will be commenced as soon as the retorts can be erected. The Scotsman, 27th January 1868.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.