<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Rumford St. Oil Works

Rumford St. Oil Works

Location 55.843005, -4.222993. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Calton, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area City of Glasgow
Construction history Constructed c.1844
Ownership history George Miller & Co.
Demolition history Presumably cleared after 1905
Current status of site Public open space and road.

Background

Not listed by Redwood

George Miller & Co's Rumford St Chemical Works were constructed on a site adjoining the City and Suburban Gas Company's Dalmarnock Gas Works; both of which began production in c.1844. The chemical works processed the by-products of gas production, and supplied tars and asphalt from their "Dalmarnock Asphalte Works", used for flooring and pavement works.

From 1866 to 1872 Glasgow Post Office directories listed George Miller & Co. under "Paraffin Oil Manufacturers", suggesting that shale oil may have been refined at Rumford Street during this period of "oilmania".

Partners in George Miller & Co. included Robert Binning and John Poynter, both of whom went on to establish their own shale oil businesses. George Miller's brother John (through the firm of John Miller & Co.) operated a similar business at Sandilands Chemical Works, linked to Aberdeen gas works.

The works were last listed in the 1905 Glasgow Post Office Directory as :

Valuation Records

To be researched

Directory entries

From Glasgow Post Office Directories

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.