<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Roman Camp Oil Works

Roman Camp Oil Works

Location 55.917019, -3.483910. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c. 1892
Ownership history Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Closed c.1955, demolished c. 1958
Current status of site Wooded wasteland

Background

A major crude oil works, constructed by the Broxburn Oil Company in 1892 to supply crude oil to their Broxburn refinery and connected to it by the company's mineral railway. There were 240 retorts in use in 1895. This site was separate from Roman Camps Shale Oil Works which closed in the early 1870's.

Much of the workforce were accommodated in company housing at Roman Camp village, and the works were served from Roman Camp mines No.1, No.2 (north), No.2 (south) , No.3, No.4, No.5, No.6, & No.7. The opening of new mines immediately prior to World War two ensured that the oil works remained in production until c.1955.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1891 and 1958. Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Archive Images

Recent Images

Snippets

At Broxburn a new crude work has been erected, and a new shale mine sunk at a part of the neighbourhood known as "The Roman Camp." This is intended to take in the Pumpherston shales, and is on the Drumshoreland section of the company's mineral field. The new works are expected to start early next year. Otherwise, and the notwithstanding the depression, matters have been proceeding smoothly. Glasgow Herald, 29nd December 1892.

Accident Records

Additional Resources

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.