<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Rochsoles Oil Works

Rochsoles Oil Works

Location Uncertain; perhaps in the general vicinity of 55.883777, -3.972927, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Presumably constructed c.1866
Ownership history A. Law & Company
Demolition history Presumably dismantled after 1871
Current status of site Unclear

Background

Redwood lists Roachsoles Oil Works as being located at Raebog, and operated by Law & Sons between 1864 and 1872.

The site of the oil works is uncertain, but possibly in the vicinity of Rochsoles pit, which was marked on the first edition (c.1864) and shown as disused on the second edition (c.1899). Rochsoles pit was however operated by James Struthers & Co., who were also proprietors of Stand Oil Works

Valuation Records

Entries from 1866 to 1872. Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Recent Images

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.