<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Railway Oil Works

Railway Oil Works

Location Unknown, perhaps in the vicinity of 55.918738, -3.503702, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Opened pre-1866
Ownership history Andrew Taylor
Demolition history Closed 1867
Current status of site Unclear

Background

Not listed by Redwood

A small scale and short-lived paraffin refinery, described in the sale note (see "snippets", below), as being "closely adjoining Uphall station". The works appear separate from Stankards Paraffin Refinery, which was in operation during the years that the Railway Chemical Works were active and which were also described as "adjoining the railway station".

Valuation Records

Not located in valuation records

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Snippets

PETROLEUM CASKS – FOR SALE, 250 Fine AMERICAN PETROLEUM CASKS – Apply Andrew Taylor, Paraffin Works, Uphall, by Bathgate. Glasgow Herald, 4th May 1866

SEQUESTRATION of ANDREW TAYLOR, Manufacturing Chemist, Uphall, by Bathgate. DAVID MARSHALL, Chartered Accountant in Edinburgh, has been elected Trustee on the estate; and Robert Kay Kinnimount, Merchant, Stewartfield, Broxburn, Alexander Sim, one of the Partners of the North British Colour Company, Leith, and John Vallance, Oil Refiner, Broxburn, have been elected Commissioners. The examination of the Bankrupt will take place within the Sheriff-Court-house, Linlithgow, on Wednesday the 5th day of June next, at one o'clock afternoon. The Creditors will meet within the Trustee's Chambers, 36, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, on Thursday the 13th day of June next, at two o'clock afternoon. DAVID MARSHALL, Trustee. Edinburgh, May 29, 1867. Edinburgh Gazette, 31st May 1867

CHEMICAL WORKS TO SELL OR LET. - THE RAILWAY CHEMICAL WORKS, closely adjoining the Uphall Station of the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway, belonging to the Sequestered Estate of Mr. Andrew Taylor, are to SELL or LET. The Works have been hitherto used for the refining of Paraffine, but are well adapted for carrying on other manufacture. They consist of Six Hydraulic and Two Screw Presses all fitted up for use. Cast-Iron Still and Pans built in. Three H.P. Engines and Two Steam Boilers, Two Steam Stills, Steam Pans, tanks, Drying Kiln. &c. The Ground, which is leased on a 29 years Lease, at an annual rent of £10, extends upwards of an Acre, and the Buildings, which are of Brick and Timber, include Counting-House, Weigh-House, Press-House, Mechanics' Shop, Store and Stable, Filter-House, Melting-House and Still-House. There is a Spring of excellent pure water on the Ground, and its close vicinity to the Railway Station renders it and eligible site for Manufacturing purposes. For further particulars application may be made to Mr. DAVID MARSHALL. C.A., 36 Hanover Street, Edinburgh, trustee of the Sequestered Estate; or to Mr. ROBERT AITKEN, Solicitor, Linlithgow. The Scotsman, 15th June 1867

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.