<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Palacecraig Oil Works

Palacecraig Oil Works

Location Probably in the region of 55.846443, -3.987892, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Old Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Built c.1863
Ownership history Calder Oil Company
Demolition history Presumably cleared c.1866
Current status of site Returned to agriculture

Background

Not listed by Redwood

A short-lived enterprise promoted by the Calder Oil Company, a partnership of James Greenshields and James Greenshields junior, and John Edgar Poynter

Valuation Records

Entries from 1863 to 1866. Download details.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Recent Images

Snippets

An enterprising Glasgow firm – Messrs Greenshields; who have an asphalte work at Port-Dundas, and a chemical work at Greenock- have leased a piece of ground on the north bank of the canal at Palace Craig, near Faskine, for the purpose of erecting a work in which to carry out the manufacture of oil from the mineral called "bannets" by the miners. The foundation of the new buildings is in course of excavation, and materials for their erection are being laid down on the ground. Rumour speaks of 100 workers as being the number likely to be employed in its manufacture, which is similar to that which has carried such a tide of prosperity in the neighbourhood of Bathgate. The Scotsman. 1st September 1862

Caledonian Railway, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire and Midlothian Branches act 1865.........
Tenthly, A Branch Railway (hereinafter called " Line No. 10"), commencing by a Junction with the extension of the Glasgow Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway through Coatbridge now forming part of the Company's Main Line from Carlisle to Glasgow, at or near a point in the parish of Old Monkland and County of Lanark, about two chains southward from the Dundyvan Academy at Coatbridge, and terminating at a point in the same Parish in or near the northern side of the Calder Oil Company's Works on the lands of Palaceraig occupied by Messrs Greenshields & Poynter which the proposed Line No. 10 and the Works and conveniences connected therewith, and the lands, houses, and other property which may be taken for the purposes thereof, will be, and are situated in the parishes of Old Monkland and New Monkland, in the County of Lanark.
The Caledonian Mercury, 23rd November 1865

FOR SALE, a Cast Iron Still, capacity 1400 Gallons, with Condenser, Tank, &c., condition; little used. Also a new Spare Still Bottom to suit the above – To be seen at Palace Craig Oil Works, near Airdrie.
Glasgow Daily Herald, 1st October 1866

Accident Records

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.