<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Magdalene Oil Works

Magdalene Oil Works

also known as Magdalene Chemical Works

Location 55.946532, -3.079015, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Duddingston, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area City of Edinburgh
Construction history Apparently constructed c1858
Ownership history William Taylor & Company from 1866, Straiton Estate Company Ltd from 1879
Demolition history Unlabelled buildings shown on 1896 OS map, mostly cleared by the 1907 edition
Current status of site Cash and carry warehouse

Background

Redwood lists "Taylor's Oil Works", proprietors Taylor & Company, Leith, active between 1864 and 1871, and notes "Distilled Straiton shale".

William Taylor & Company were long established soap and candle manufacturers with premises in Salamander St. Leith, who also had interests in Forthbank Works, Magdalen Chemical Works and Straiton Oil Works. The Straiton Estate Company was established in 1876 to purchase William Taylor's interest in Straiton Oil Works and Magdalene Chemical Works.

The 1871 census lists William Young, aged 31, of Magdalene Bridge, Midlothian as Manager of a Paraffin Oil Work employing 28 men.

The 1880 sale notice in the Scotsman suggest that Magdelen Works served as a refinery and processed crude oil produced at Straiton.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1859 and 1879. Download details

1875 records include the Chemical Works, a Manager's house and five workmen's houses

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Snippets

THE Proprietors of a Mineral Oil work are desirous of securing the services of an Experienced FOREMAN to superintend the Work. Applicant must possess a thorough practical knowledge of such an establishment, and be able to distill and refine the products of Boghead Coal. Apply by letter to Mr. Robert Irvine, Magdalene Chemical Works, Musselburgh. Glasgow Herald 19th April 1865

 

MUSSELBURGH TOWN COUNCIL. The ordinary monthly meeting of Musselburgh Town Council was held last night—Bailie Keir presiding. The treasurer intimated that the action against the Straiton Estate Company had been settled. The monthly statement of income and expenditure showed the income to be £123, and the expenditure £145, making excess expenditure over income of £21. A letter from Mr Meek regarding the alleged nuisance at his works, was read. Meek denied the allegation, and stated that no part his works was used as a skinnery. The inspector reported that he had examined the premises, and found that they were merely used wool store, and the subject was allowed to drop.

The Edinburgh Evening News, 15th October 1878

 

At MAGDELEN BRIDGE, near MUSSELBURGH, On THURSDAY the 9th DECEMBER, at Half-past Twelve o'clock, OIL REFINERY PLANT, MACHINERY &c. being the Surplus Stock of the Straiton Oil Company (Limited), who have removed their Refinery to Straiton, comprising Three Cast-Iron Stills of 800 and 1000 gallon capacity, Two D Boilers 25ft x 5 ft and 20ft x 6 ft; Four egg-end boilers, 14ft x 3 ft, 13 ft x 3 ft 6 in. 21ft x 6ft, 12ft. X 4ft. Two 7 and 8 inch Rams; Two Hydraulic Pumps, Screw Press, Two Cast-Iron Tanks, Two Malleable-Iron Tanks, 20ft x 16ft and 14 ft x 4ft; Two Portable Fire Extinguishers, Cast-Iron Pipes, Beams and Columns; upwards of 120ft. Shafting, Wooden Vats and Tubs, Scrap Iron, Brickwork of Stills, Old Wood, Carboys, Lorry to carry 3 tons, &c. Catalogues ready, and will be forwarded on application. The Scotsman, 1st December 1880

VALUABLE AND EXTENSIVE SOAP, STEARINE AND CANDLE BUSINESS FOR SALE. TO BE SOLD by Private Treaty, the Old-Established BUSINESS of WILLIAM TAYLOR & COMPANY, Soap Stearine and Candle Manufacturers, Salamander Street, Leith with the Whole MACHINERY for the Manufacture of PARAFFIN, COMPOSITE, and other CANDLES, including apparatus for the DISTILLATION and PURIFICATION of PARAFFIN SCALE, and also the TENANT'S PORTION of the UTENSILS, MACHINERY &c. for the Manufacture of Soap. The Scotsman, 11th July 1883

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.