<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Lochburn Rd. Oil Works

Lochburn Rd. Oil Works

Location 55.892142, -4.288922. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Barony (later Maryhill), Glasgow
Current local authority area City of Glasgow
Construction history Presumably constructed c.1872
Ownership history William Walls, D. Dick
Demolition history Site appears to have remained in use into the 20th Century
Current status of site Industrial units and garage

Background

Not listed by Redwood. Valuation rolls detail ground occupied by shale, suggesting that crude oil was, for a period, produced on site. The business appears to have continued as a paraffin refinery, eventually being operated by William Walls & Company Ltd.

William Walls & Co. are listed in Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland (1878) as "Spermaceti and paraffin oil refiners, Lochburn rd. Maryhill, and 52 to 62 North Fredrick St.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1872 and 1893. Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland