<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Loanhead Oil Works

Loanhead Oil Works

also known as Glentore Oil Works

Location Perhaps in the vicinity of: 55.920061, -3.943160. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Presumably built c.1866
Ownership history Robinson, Donald & Company, J & E. Robinson., Blacktongue & Cameron?
Demolition history Oil works presumably dismantled after 1877
Current status of site Farmland and waste ground

Background

Listed by Redwood as "Glenture Oil Works" operated by Robertson, Donaldson & Company between 1864 and 1877. The 1871 census lists five oil workers resident at Loanhead, including John Aitken, "Manager of Oil Works". None are listed in 1881.

J & E Robinson are listed in the 1869 Glasgow Post Office Directory as "Robinson, J.&E., paraffin oil manufacturers, refinery; Vulcan Oil Works and Glentore Oil Works, by Airdrie". J & E Robinson were also proprietors of Port Dundas Paraffin Works. Edwin Robinson of Glentore Oilworks is listed as a contributor to the "Airdrie Committee" in the Scotsman, 9th February 1874.

Listed in Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland for 1878 under Oil Manufacturers in the Airdrie area as "Robinson, J. & E. (crude) Glentore Oil Works, Greengairs; office - 118 West Regent St. Glasgow."

Valuation Records

Entries between 1866 and 1894, although later entries may relate to minerals only. Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Recent Images

References

SHERIFF SMALL DEBT COURT –

Important decision under the master and servants act. At this court, held yesterday, before Sheriff David Mitchell, J & E Robinson, Oil Manufacturers, Glentore Oil Works, sued David M'Auslane, labourer, for the sum of £5 in name of damages sustained by them in consequence of the desertion of service by the defender. Mr James Watt, solicitor, appeared for the pursuers. From the evidence it appeared that the defender had on the 21st of August last deserted the pursuers' service without giving any warning; and that the rules of the work – to which he had signed his mark – expressly stipulated that a fortnight's warning should be given and received before any workman left or was dismissed. It also proved that considerable loss had been sustained by pursuers in consequence of M'Auslane leaving his work. The Sheriff decerned for 10s 6d of damages, and 25s of expenses, -William M' Auslane, for a similar desertion of service from the same employers, was sentenced to pay 21s of damages and 25s of expenses.

Glasgow Herald, 4th September 1869

Steam Boiler Explosion.—Yesterday week the steam boiler at Loanhead Oilworks, Drumgray, exploded, scattering bricks and debris all around, and inflicting much damage, the boiler being thrown considerable distance. Mr John Aitken, manager, and John Bulloch, labourer, were injured by being struck by the flying bricks on the head and legs.

The Falkirk Herald, 2nd November 1871

 

 

 

 

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.