<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Linwood Oil Works

Linwood Oil Works

Location Uncertain: in the area of 55.854497, -4.486599, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Kilbarchan
Current local authority area Renfrewshire
Construction history Presumably constructed c.1868
Ownership history James Anderson & Son, Clippens Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Presumably dismantled c.1874
Current status of site Presumed site; wooded rough ground

Background

Not listed by Redwood. Valuation rolls suggest that the site was incorporated into Clippens Oil Works. James Anderson & Son worked coal, and presumably shale from their Linwood pit.

The location of Linwood shale oil works is uncertain; a small bing to the East of Linwood village marks a possible site.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1867 and 1876. Download details

Directory Listings

From Watson's Directory for Paisley:

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Recent Images

Recent Images

JOHNSTONE.- Miners' Wages.-The miners in the employment of Mr Anderson have agreed to restrict their darg to five shillings a day and their working hours to eight. Mr Dunlop has conceded the advance of sixpence a-day to the ironstone miners at Linwood, and Mr Craig has agreed to increase the wages of his shaleworkers to the same extent.
Glasgow Herald 8th April 1872

THE SHALE OIL TRADE - The shale and oil works near Linwood, belonging to Messrs James Anderson & Co. which have been suspended for many months, have just been reopened, giving employment to a number of men in the district
The Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertiser, 6th November 1875

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.