<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Lanemark Oil Works

Lanemark Oil Works

Location Location very uncertain, perhaps in the region of: 55.383377, -4.221128, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Cumnock, Ayrshire
Current local authority area East Ayrshire
Construction history Presumably c. 1864
Ownership history Not known
Demolition history Presumably after 1867
Current status of site Not known

Background

Redwood noted that Lanemark Oil Works at New Cumnock operated between 1864 and 1867.

Ordnance Survey maps provide few clues as to the possible location of the oil works. The first edition map, published in 1860, show Lanemark Moss, Lanemark Farm, and a railway branch linking New Cumnock Iron Works with various coal pits. By the time of the second edition map, c.1897, an additional branch line and many new pits had been opened, including a number of Lanemark Collieries and a Lanemark brickworks.

Valuation Records

Not yet located.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Snippets

All along the route from Kilmarnock to New Cumnock search has been made with considerable success, and at the later mentioned place an oil work had been erected by Messrs Brown & Co. for the distillation of Ayrshire shale into its numerous compounds The Scotsman, 1st February 1866

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.