<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Kirkmuirhill Oil Works

Kirkmuirhill Oil Works

Location Uncertain, perhaps in the vicinity of: 55.666873, -3.923304 , show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
Current local authority area South Lanarkshire
Construction history Presumably constructed c. 1865
Ownership history John and James Baird
Demolition history Presumably dismantled after 1870
Current status of site Housing and Gospel Hall

Background

Not listed by Redwood. The valuation rolls indicates 20 oil retorts alongside tile and brickworks facilities.

The only active brickworks shown on the 1897 OS map in the immediate vicinity of Kirkmuirhill was a small scale claypit with associated kilns close to the road between Kirkmuirhill and Blackwood. On the 1911 OS map, this works had been extended and titled Blackwood Brick and Tile Works. It is possible that this was site of the oil works.

Valuation Records

Entries between 1865 and 1870, Download details

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.