<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Kilwinning Oil Works

Kilwinning oil works

Location Perhaps 55.641772, -4.709233 show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Current local authority area North Ayrshire
Construction history c.1865
Ownership history Eglinton Iron Company or J & J Baird
Demolition history Presumably after 1871
Current status of site Returned to agriculture

One of a number of small oil works supplied from a seam of "parrot shale" or "shale coal" found in the Kilwinning area, (other oil works were located at Annick Lodge, Balgray, Doura, Fergushill, and Patterton)

Redwood notes that the Kilwinning oil works, at "Ayre", operated between 1864 and 1871.

In about 1843, a major ironworks was constructed near Kilwinning by the Eglinton Iron Company; a firm associated with the Lanarkshire iron and coal masters William and James Baird. A newspaper advertisement (below) dated February 1865 suggests that the firm had stockpiled a substantial amount of parrot coal as a by-product of their coal, iron and clay mining activities and were encouraging others to set up business in the area to produce oil from the mineral. "The Engineer" of 17th August 1866 stated that "retorts have been erected at Kilwinning, Ayrshire for the iron firm of Messrs Baird of Gartsherrie and the Eglinton Iron Company", suggesting that the Eglinton Oil Company had chosen to enter the oil industry on their own account. This enterprise was apparently abandoned by August 1871 when they placed a newspaper advertisement offering the works for sale.

Geological Survey Memoirs - Economic Geology of the Ayrshire Coalfields Area II, published in 1925 states;

"Shale coal...consists of an upper layer of oil shale resting on an equal thickness of coal. The shale was retorted in an old oil works which has since been destroyed by fire, near the farm of Bog. The material there treated was locally obtained, and although the seam is variable, it is probable that much remains to be wrought."

The 1896 OS shows an area of rough ground to the north east of Bog farm served by a siding from the mineral railway leading to Bogside colliery. This appears a likely location for the oil works.

.

Valuation Records

Not yet located

 

Retorts

The sale notice published in August 1871 lists 48 retorts

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

References

To Makers of Oil. For sale, 30,000 Tons Parrot Coal, at a low price; delivery on Glasgow and South Western Railway, near Kilwinning, or Ardrossan Harbour. If preferred, a contract would be made for supply over a period of years; and ground, conveniently situated, and possessing facilities for railway communication, could be feued or leased for the erection of an Oil Factory. For particulars, apply to Eglinton Iron Company at their Works, Kilwinning; or their office, 16s West George Street, Glasgow.

The Glasgow Herald, 6th February 1865

 

KILWINNING. On Tuesday morning the intelligence was brought into town that the Oil Work, which had at lately been erected by the Eglinton Iron Company near to their Works here, had been destroyed by fire during the night. It appeared that some pipe in connection had got closed up, and one of the persons in charge was examining it by means of a lamp, the foul air rushed out, and getting ignited, the whole place was soon in a blaze, consuming the greater part of the oil that had been made. The loss, we understand, will be about £1,000.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 17th March 1866

 

NOTICE – We PAY the wages of our Workmen Daily, or Hourly if required – J and J Baird, Eglinton Oil Works. Kilwinning, 24th December 1867.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 28th December 1867

 

OIL WORK.- To Let. near Kilwinning. 48 Retorts, 2 Stills and Pertinents; all in good order, and with contact supply of Parrot Coal; Apply at the Office, Eglinton Ironworks, Kilwinning.- 9th August 1871.

The Scotsman, 16th August 1871.

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.