<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Greengairs Oil Works

Greengairs Oil Works

Location Uncertain, Perhaps in the general area of: 55.916803, -3.937863 show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Presumably constructed c.1865
Ownership history Drumgray Coal Company
Demolition history Unclear
Current status of site Uncertain

Background

Redwood notes that Greengairs Oil Works were operated by Thornton between 1863 - 1867, however there is no mention of this in the valuation records.

The 1871 census records ten shale miners resident at Blacktongue Rows and nineteen shale miners or oil works living in Greengairs, the majority in East Rows. These seem likely to have employed at Loanhead and other local oil works.

Valuation Records

Entries from 1865 - 1885, although many may refer to mineral and empty land. Download details.

It seems possible that the Valuation roll information refer to the works listed as Drumgray Oil Works.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.