<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Grange Oil Works

Grange Oil Works

also known as Charlesfield Oil Works

Location 55.868591, -3.570296, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of West Calder, Edinburghshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1864
Ownership history James Raeburn of Charlesfield, Midlothian Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Demolished c.1876
Current status of site Intensive chicken farm with wooded areas of bing at the edges of the site

Background

Referred to variously as Grange or Charlesfield, this modest oil works seems to have produced crude oil from shales mined close by to the works, at Grange No.1 & 2 and Grange No.3. Operated by the Midlothian Mineral Oil Company from 1871. Equipment listed in the liquidation sale of1874 suggests that some refining of crude oil also took place on site.

Workman's housing associated with the work was constructed at Raeburn Rows.

Listed by Redwood as being sited at Gunsgreen Toll and operated by J.P. Raeburn between 1863 and 1876.

Valuation Records

Listed between 1864 and 1875. Download details.

Maps

Images

Snippets

The Grange Oil Works, in the same neighborhood (as the Gavieside Oil Works), are owned by Mr. Raeburn (a grandson of the portrait painter), and have sixty retorts. The Scotsman, 1st February 1869.

THE MID-LOTHIAN MINERAL OIL COMPANY (LIMITED) IN LIQUIDATION. AT MID-LOTHIAN OIL WORKS, WEST CALDER, ON TUESDAY 12th OCTOBER 1875, AT 12 O'CLOCK. IMPORTANT SALE OF SHALE OIL PLANT AND MACHINERY CONSISTING OF: 20 UPRIGHT RETORTS and CONNECTIONS (Young's Patent), 54 HORIZONTAL RETORTS AND CONNECTIONS. 8 MALLEABLE IRON STILLS and MOUNTINGS. 8 CAST-IRON CONDENSER STILLS, 5 large IRON RECEIVERS. 6 Large WOOD WASHERS (lined with lead), HYDRAULIC PRESS 8in Ram 3ft LIFT, Superior Hydraulic Press 9in Ram, 11 ft. lift, with Pumps. 6 Four-Inch BUCKET PUMPS, 6 CENTRIFUGAL PUMPS, 5 STEAM ENGINES, 6,8,10,13 and 16 in. Cylinder. 5 STEAM BOILERS and MOUNTINGS. 10 EGG and FLAT END BOILERS (various sizes).... The Scotsman, 2nd October 1875.

COUNTY OF EDINBURGH – SHALE-FIELD – To be LET, the SHALE in the ESTATE of CHARLESFIELD in the Parishes of Mid-Calder and West-Calder. A Branch of the Caledonian Railway passes through the property, with a Siding for its accommodation. Apply to Messrs. HILL & FERGUSSON, W.S., 42 Fredrick Street Edinburgh. From The Scotsman, 27th September 1876.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.