<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Drumgray Oil Works

Drumgray Oil Works

Location Uncertain, perhaps in the general area of: 55.915681, -3.915698. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of New Monkland, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area North Lanarkshire
Construction history Presumably built c.1863
Ownership history Rankine & Mitchell
Demolition history Presumably cleared after 1874
Current status of site Probably rough grazing and moorland

Redwood notes that Drumgray Oil Works, Greengairs, were operated by J. Rankin between 1864 and 1874. Bankruptcy hearings for the firm of James Palmer & Company indicated that they erected 40 retorts at Drumgray near Airdrie "towards the end of 1865" but shortly afterwards disposed of the minerals (see full text). There is no evidence however that these relate to the same site and it seems possible that the works at Drumgray described in the 1863 Scotsman article (see snippets below) were those we have listed as Greengairs Oil Works.

 

Valuation Records

No valuation records for Drumgray Oil Works have been located, however " John and Patrick Rankine, and subsequently the Drumgray Coal Company" were noted in valuation rolls for Greengairs Oil Works. The period of operation of Greengairs Oil works suggested by the valuation rolls generally coincides with the dates of operation of Drumgray works indicated by Redwood

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.