<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Bell's Stewartfield Oil Works

Broxburn: Bell's Stewartfield oil works

Location Uncertain; in the vicinity of: 55.938672, -3.464261, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1865
Ownership history Robert Bell
Demolition history Presumably cleared c.1875
Current status of site public open space

For more information on the complicated history of Broxburn's early oil works, see this overview

Seemingly one of the larger crude oil works in Broxburn operated by Robert Bell, thought to have been located close to Stewartfield No.1 pit

Redwood notes that the Stewartfield oil works, owned by Robert Bell, operated between 1863 and 1871 and was equipped with 100 horizontal retorts. Valuation rolls record a rateable value of only £35, suggesting a much smaller scale operation.

The precise location of the works is not known, but it seems likely to have been in the vicinity of Stewartfield No.1 pit. The works seem to have been separate from the Stewartfield oil works operated by James Steele.

 

Valuation Records

Entries between 1865 and 1874. Download details

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.