<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Steele's Oil Works

Broxburn: Steele's oil works

Location Probably in the vicinity of: 55.939287, -3.469726. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1863
Ownership history James Steele, James Millar, Glasgow Oil Company (Broxburn) Ltd
Demolition history Presumed demolished c 1876
Current status of site Probably waste ground and bing

For more information on the complicated history of Broxburn's early oil works, see this overview

Redwood noted that Steel's (sic) Works lay on the North side of the canal in Broxburn, operated between 1862 and 1868 producing only crude oil from 30 horizontal and 50 vertical retorts.

Primrose, in "Strathbrock or The history and antiquities of the Parish of Uphall", 1898 states:

"Messrs. Miller and Steele erected a small works at Broxburn on the north side of the canal, where the present gas works stand"

Valuation rolls suggest that ownership passed from Dr. James Steele, a doctor of medicine living in Wishaw, to James Millar in about 1866. Millar, a banker from Wishaw, was a director in the Glasgow Oil Co. Ltd.(Broxburn).

Valuation Records

Listed between 1863 to 1876, unlet from 1873. Download details

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Site of Steeles Works

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.