<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Hallfarm Oil Works

Broxburn: Hallfarm oil works

sometimes referred to as Liddell's Oil Works

Location Unknown, perhaps in the general area of 55.939821, -3.471835. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history 1870 or earlier
Ownership history James Liddell
Demolition history Presumably cleared c. 1877, the site becoming the refinery of the Broxburn Oil Company Ltd
Current status of site Industrial estate

For more information on the complicated history of Broxburn's early oil works, see this overview

Redwood notes that Liddell's works were situated; "at the West end of Broxburn", operated between 1862 and 1867, and had 30 horizontal retorts.

Primrose, in "Strathbrock or The history and antiquities of the Parish of Uphall", 1898 states:

"In 1869 Mr. James Liddell erected a crude oil work of 40 horizontal oval retorts. These works — the last of the minor enterprises — stood close to the north side of the canal about 100 yards west of Greendykes Road."

It appears that the works were constructed on the lands associated with Broxburn Hall (55.932174, -3.467635) lying north of the Union Canal. This ground was subsequently occupied by the refinery section of Broxburn Oil Works

James Liddell & Co were also the owners of East Fulton Shale Oil Works in Renfrewshire.

 

Valuation Records

Entries between 1870 and 1877. Download details - note transcription error, owner and proprietor should be James Liddell, not James Liddle

 

Retorts

Redwood notes that the works were equipped with 30 horizontal retorts

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

 

Recent Images

hallfarm oil works

 

References

A letter was read from Messrs Jas. Liddell & Coy. dated December, Twenty Sixth, 1877, offering to hand over to the company, for the sum of Six Hundred Pounds, their whole works, property and lease of land at Broxburn. The directors decided not to accept their offer, nor in the meantime would they consider it advisable to take over the works as offered.

Directors meeting of the Broxburn Oil Co. Ltd. January 1878. (BP collection 213468)

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.