<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Greendykes Oil Works

Broxburn: Greendykes oil works

also known as Greendykes Paraffin Oil Works

Location Uncertain, perhaps in the area of: 55.938837, -3.471434, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c 1864
Ownership history Robert Bell,
Demolition history Opencasted and land subsequently restored
Current status of site Rough wooded ground

For more information on the complicated history of Broxburn's early oil works, see this overview

Redwood records that Greendykes oil works, owned by Robt. Bell, operated between 1865 and 1871 and was equipped with 100 retorts

Available evidence suggests that the works lay to the north of Broxburn, probably associated with Greendykes North mine. This is supported by a statement by Primrose, in "Strathbrock or The history and antiquities of the Parish of Uphall", (1898) that Bell's works at Haycraigs were equipped with 100 retorts.

 

Valuation Records

Entries from 1862 to 1878. Download details. (Greendykes Paraffin oil works was valued at £30 in 1865 and £100 in 1875, Transcribed entries for 1862 and 1863 may be erroneous and relate to Broxburn Albyn Oil Works.)

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Accidents

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.