<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Hutchison's Oil Works

Broxburn: Hutchison's oil works

also known as Broxburn Paraffin Oil Refinery (and perhaps Greendykes refinery?)

Location Uncertain, probably in the region of: 55.938837, -3.471434 , show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Presumably built c.1863
Ownership history Thomas Hutchison until 1869, perhaps subsequently by Robert Bell
Demolition history Site incorporated into Broxburn Oil Works in 1878
Current status of site industrial premises

For more information on the complicated history of Broxburn's early oil works, see this overview

Redwood lists a Hutchinson's oil works, which operated between 1864 and 1866, although this reference might relate to the Bishop Street Oil Manufactory in Glasgow operated by George Hutchison & Company or other oil concerns in Glasgow associated with the Hutchison family.

The firm of Thomas Hutchison & Co., based on Lothian Road, Edinburgh, is noted in valuation roles as proprietors of a "paraffine building near Broxburn". Primrose in his book Strathbrock or The history and antiquities of the Parish of Uphall, 1898 states:

"A small refinery was put up in 1863-64, and worked for several years by Mr. Thomas Hutcheson, at the west side of Greendykes Road, where the Broxburn Oil Company's workshops are situated, opposite the present gasworks."

The refinery was presumably established to refine the crude oil produced by other local manufacturers, and the site subsequent became part of the workshop and refinery section of the Broxburn Oil Works.

 

Valuation Records

Entries 1864 - 1878 Download details (note; the proprietor is Thomas Hutchison not Thomas Hutchinson as transcribed, also continued occupation by Robert Bell from 1870 requires further substantiation)

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

References

PARAFFIN OIL REFINERY. - To be SOLD or LET. The BROXBURN PARAFFIN OIL REFINERY. The Fields around supply and unlimited quantity of fine Shale of such quality as to be capable of producing a more than ordinary quantity of Superior Crude Oil. The works are in good working order, and lie on the banks of the Canal, and within a short distance of the Branch Railway now forming.

For particulars apply to Mr. JOHN ROBERTSON, S.S.C., 63 Hanover Street, Edinburgh. Broxburn 19th June.

The Scotsman 27th June 1868.

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.