<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works



A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Blackstoun Oil Works

Blackstoun oil works

Location Probably 55.853800, -4.486371, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire
Current local authority area Renfrewshire
Construction history Presumably constructed c. 1872
Ownership history Allan Craig & Sons,
Demolition history Presumably dismantled c. 1887
Current status of site Farm and wooded waste ground

Redwood notes

" Blackstoun Oil Works, proprietor Allen, Craig & Company and located Linwood, near Johnstone, Paisley operated between 1870 and 1886, equipped with 44 vertical retorts producing crude oil only."

The Blackstoun shale, coal and oilworks were operated by Allan Craig & Sons, and listed in editions of Watson's Directory for Paisley between 1873 and 1886. What little evidence exists suggests that Blackstoun pit and the associated oil works was located immediately north of Linwood village

Blackstoun oil works were an entirely separate operation from the Blackstone oil works, operated by the Blackstone Mineral Oil Co., which lay about a mile to the north east.


Valuation Records

Entries between 1872 and 1902. Download details. This transcription appears to combine information from Blackstone oil works and Blackstoun oil works and should be treated with caution.


Directory Listings

From Watson's Directory for Paisley:


Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland