<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Blackstone Oil Works

Blackstone oil works

sometimes refered to as Blackston oil works

Location probably 55.867626, -4.470355, show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire
Current local authority area Renfrewshire
Construction history In operation as an oil works from c.1872, site in use until c.1900
Ownership history Blackstone Mineral Oil Company, William Black & Sons Ltd
Demolition history Oil works plant dismantled during the 1890's ?
Current status of site Farm and wooded waste ground

Redwood notes

"Blackston Oil Works, proprietor Blackston Mineral Company, and located at Blackston, Paisley., operated between 1872 and 1879".

In about 1872, Airdrie coalmaster William Black and his associates acquired the mineral lease of the Blackstone estate from Thomas Speir, and set about sinking a pit to exploit coal, ironstone and shale. They formed the Blackstone Mineral Oil Company, listed in directories as "coal and ironstone masters, coal and shale oil proprietors"

The oil works seem likely to have been sited close to the Blackstone pits; the 1895 OS map, (surveyed following the dismantling of the oil works), shows a likely site slightly to the west of the shafts. Oil production seems likely to have ceased by 1880, however minerals continued to be worked at Blackstone into the first decade of the 20th century. Limestone seems also worked on site, and a brickworks was established c. 1905, presumably consuming the waste products of past mining operations. OS maps of the 1940's show the Blackstone site cleared of buildings and an aerial ropeway in operation to supply waste from the Blackstone bing to Walkinshaw brickworks.

The Blackstone oil works, operated by the Blackstone Mineral Oil Co., was an entirely separate operation from the Blackstoun Oil Works of Messrs. Allan Craig and Sons, which lay about a mile to the south west.

 

Valuation Records

Entries between 1872 and 1902. Download details This transcription appears to combine information from Blackstone oil works and Blackstoun oil works and should be treated with caution.

 

Directory Listings

From Watson's Directory for Paisley:

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland

Recent Images

View across the site of Blackstone oil works.

 

References

Extensive Lease of Minerals.- We understand that Messrs. William Black & Sons of Airdrie have leased a large extent on minerals on the Blackstoun estate from Mr. Spiers, the proprietor, embracing ironstone, shale and coal.

The Glasgow Herald, 25th April 1872

MARRIAGE REJOICINGS.-On Wednesday, the workers at Blackstone Work were allowed a half-day holiday and a handsome treat by the kindness of their employers, on the occasion of the marriage of Mr. Gavin Black, Stanrigg, one of the owners, Toasts were drunk with enthusiasm to the health of the newly-married couple, and prosperity to Messrs. Wm. Black & Sons. Dancing followed, which was vigorously sustained till late when all parted highly pleased with the entertainment.

The Glasgow Herald 27th September 1872

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.