<<< BACK to previous page

Scottish works

Gazetteer

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Scottish Oil Works > Birkenshaw Oil Works

Birkenshaw Oil Works

Location 55.715938, -3.962251. show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Dalserf, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area South Lanarkshire
Construction history Built c.1867
Ownership history Alan Craig & Sons, Andrew Spence
Demolition history Presumably dismantled c.1870 ?
Current status of site Returned to agriculture - pasture

A small scale oil works, presumably exploiting local Musselband Coal Shale, which seemingly lay unused throughout its existence. Redwood noted that the works, owned by Alan Craig & Sons, operated 1866-1871 and was equipped with 20 D-shaped retorts.

No evidence has yet been found that links Alan Craig & Sons, owners of the Birkenshaw Oil Works with Allan Craig & Sons, proprietor of the Linwood (Blackstone) Oil Works

Birkenshaw Colliery and associated retorts are marked on the 6" OS map published in 1864, and a small bing close to the site of these retorts remains on the second edition OS map, published in 1897.

 

Valuation Records

Entries between 1867 and 1870, all noting 20 retorts "not working". Download details.

Note: the entries from 1871 onwards probably relate to Shawsburn oil works

 

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Birkenshaw

Site of Birkenshaw Oil Works (centre of image, beyond fence)

 

References

The Kiltongue Musselband Shale...was also wrought in the Larkhall district at Swinhill, Kittymuir and Birkenshaw, where the yield was 23 galls. a ton.

Memoirs of the Geological Survey in Scotland. Vol. XXIV Cannel Coals, Lignite and Mineral Oil in Scotland. W. Gibson. 1922

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.