<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Woolfords Old Rows

Woolfords Old Rows

Location 55.794359, -3.583773 about four miles south of West Calder show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Carnwath, Lanarkshire
Current local authority area South Lanarkshire
Construction history Perhaps built during 1870's
Ownership history Rented by Pumpherston Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Cleared 1920's?
Current status of site Rough grazing

Background

Poor quality coal miner's houses adjacent to Woolfords Colliery. Leased for a period by the Pumpherston Oil Company, prior to construction of new housing at Woolfords Cottages.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Snippets

" This property belongs to a farmer, Hamilton by name, but is rented through the Pumpherston Company. There are twenty houses built on the but-and-ben principle, back to back, but occupied as single-apartment houses. Thus, two families use the same doorway. The houses are rented weekly at 1s. 3d. There are also twelve double houses rented at 2s. 6d. Water is supplied by one stand-pipe surrounded by a filthy gutter. Sanitary accommodation consists of eight dry-closets and four middens, which are in a deplorable state. There are no coal-houses or washhouses. These are miserable hovels. Evidence presented to Royal Commission on Housing Conditions, 25th March 1914.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.