<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Westwood Row

Westwood Row

Location 55.855245, -3.603991; about two miles north west of West Calder show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Livingstone, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history c.1868
Ownership history Westwood Oil Company. (Cptn. J. Stewart)
Demolition history c.1925
Current status of site Rough grazing

Background

Presumably built to house staff of Westwood Paraffin Oil Works which operated until c.1871. On wind-up of the company, mineral rights passed to Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral OIl Company but it is not known whether the rows were acquired by Young's prior to passing to private ownership.

O.S. maps show three rows, one apparently with eight two-room houses, one with four two-room homes, and one with twelve single room houses.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Recent Images

Snippets

At a meeting of the Bathgate District Committee of West Lothian Council, the clerk submitted a letter from the Scottish Board of Health intimating that their housing inspector had been inquiring into the circumstances of evictions of tenants at Westwood Row, near Blackburn, and that in his report stated that the houses in question were in an entirely uninhabitable condition. West Lothian Courier, 25th April 1924

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.