<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Company Housing > Wester Pardovan rows

Wester Pardovan Rows

Location 55.975924, -3.527724; in the village of Philpstoun show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Abercorn, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1885
Ownership history James Ross & Company, James Ross & Company Philpstoun Oil Works Ltd
Demolition history Demolished c.1960?
Current status of site 1970's? housing built on site of rows: "Church Court"

Background

Built to house the workforce of Philpstoun Oil Works. A neat array of 18 blocks, each containing four two-room homes, plus two block with six two-room homes. Sculleries were fitted early in the 20th century. An Agreement between James Ross & Company Philpstoun Oil Works Ltd and the Hopetoun Estate dated 1935 (BP Archive 183529) lists housing as 1 - 84 Hope Street, 1-12 Store Buildings, 1-4 Rosoline Place, and 1-5 Kinnaird Place.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Recent Images

Snippets

Philpstoun: Twelve houses have been demolished and the site cleared; in addition to this five houses have been officially closed. No further demolition is possible meantime. Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.

 

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.