<<< BACK to previous page

Shale Villages

 

A Recognised Collection of National Importance

Home > Companies & Works > Housing > Uphall Station Rows & Office Rows

Uphall Station Rows & Office Rows

Location 55.918017, -3.504100; at Uphall Station show in map
Former parish and county Parish of Uphall, Linlithgowshire
Current local authority area West Lothian
Construction history Built c.1880
Ownership history Uphall Oil Company Ltd, then Young's Paraffin Light & Mineral Oil Company Ltd
Demolition history Office row ruinous by 1950's, Station Rows demolished c.1957
Current status of site 1960's / 70's housing built on site

Background

Built by the Uphall Oil Company to house workers from Uphall Oil Works.

Uphall Station Rows appear to have consisted of two rows of two or three room homes at right angles to Pumpherston Road. A range of privately owned houses were also constructed on Pumpherston Road and Beechwood Road. Further west, along Beechwood Road, the Office Rows (also referred to as White Rows) comprised one row of five two-room homes and a haphazard row of nine homes of various types.

The Pumpherston Oil Company is also recorded to have owned housing on Pumpherston Road, Uphall Station during the 1920's (House numbers 74,76,78,80,82,84,100,102,147,149,151 and 153). House numbers 74-84 Pumpherston Road were formerly called Nessville Cottages.

Maps

Ordnance Survey maps reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland.

Archive Images

Plans & Drawings

Recent Images

Snippets

At the Station Rows there are eighteen houses of two apartments, and two houses of three apartments. There is no scullery or washhouse for twelve of these houses, but coal-cellars, and also dry-closets of a kind, are provided. Refuse is removed weekly from ash-pits. Sewage is disposed of by open channel. The rent is 2s. 5d. and 2s. 11d. per week respectively, inclusive of local and county rates. White Row consists of 5 two-apartment houses, with scullery and washhouse, seven houses with kitchen, bed-room, scullery, and washhouse, also two single ends. The latter nine houses are of a very poor type. The sewage is removed by open channel. Ash-pits are emptied weekly. There are five privies of a deplorable pattern for fourteen families. Water is obtained from washhouses. Rents are 1/1. and 1/8. per week, inclusive of local rates. Theodore K. Irvine, Report on the Housing Conditions in the Scottish Shale Field, 1914

Uphall Station: demolition completed in Pumpherston Road and Beechwood Road, except for clearing up of the site. Mr. Marr acquired the shop occupied by him and the two adjacent houses. Meeting held at Middleton Hall on 9th September 1958 to review position of house properties etc.

creative commons

We are happy to licence use of many images, extracts, and other resources of this website under a Creative Commons attribution, non-commercial licence (Scotland). See full copyright statement. Such material should be attributed to Almond Valley Heritage Trust and, where practical, a hyperlink provided to www.scottishshale.co.uk.